Summer made its beautiful debut here in Oregon. With delightful sunny weather I crave foods and desserts with citrus-y and berry flavors. You would never catch me eating an apple or pumpkin dessert in June! In keeping with the summer season, the recipe for today’s post is right on target. These lemon crinkle cookies are light and chewy, with a pleasant hint of bright lemon. The cookies use a touch of lemon zest and juice, and are rolled in powdered sugar, resulting in the irresistible crinkle effect. Each cookie is only a heaping teaspoon of dough, which gives you a cute small two-bite cookie. These would be perfect for a summer get together, bridal, or baby shower! I love adding a new cookie recipe to my repertoire. These lemon crinkles are great if you are in the mood to bake cookies but want something other than the ol’ faithful chocolate chip cookie. Be on the lookout this month for more light meals and desserts on All In Good Taste! What is your favorite thing to eat or drink come summer time? I’d love to know!
½ cups butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoons vanilla extract (I used 1 teaspoon)
1 whole egg
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
¼ teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoons baking powder
⅛ teaspoons baking soda
1-½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease light colored baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. (I used parchment paper instead).
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Whip in vanilla, egg, lemon zest, and juice.
3. Scrape sides and mix again. Stir in all dry ingredients slowly until just combined, excluding the powdered sugar.
4. Scrape sides of bowl and mix again briefly. Pour powdered sugar onto a large plate. Roll a heaping teaspoon of dough into a ball and roll in powdered sugar. Place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough.
5. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until bottoms begin to barely brown and cookies look matte (not melty or shiny). Remove from oven and cool cookies about 3 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
-If using a non-stick darker baking tray, reduce baking time by about 2 minutes.
– For decoration sprinkle a bit more lemon zest on cookies after baking.
Recipe source: Lauren Brennan, LDS Living