How is everyone’s December going? I love this month and all of the festiveness that goes along with it. This past weekend my parents were visiting for Chris’s graduation and we walked around downtown Portland. It was beautiful and I truly felt like it was Christmastime. We saw the big beautiful lit tree in Pioneer Square and even got to hear a Christmas performance by tuba players! Everyone seemed so happy walking in the street and it was just a good time. When I think about treats and this time of year, Peanut Butter Blossoms are one of the treats that come to mind. My Mom usually included some of these in her treat plates she gave to friends and neighbors. I am addicted to anything peppermint related during this time of year, but I think it is nice to have a couple other flavors included when thinking of what to share with loved ones. These cookies do just the trick and are a crowd pleaser for sure. Enjoy!
½ cup shortening
½ cup creamy peanut butter
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
48 Hershey Kisses, unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cream together shortening, peanut butter, brown sugar, and ½ cup sugar. Add egg, milk, and vanilla. Beat well.
- Stir together flour, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture. Beat on low speed until stiff dough forms.
- Shape into 1 inch balls. Roll in sugar. Place 2 inches apart on an un-greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Top each cookie immediately with an unwrapped chocolate piece, pressing down firmly so that the cookie cracks around the edge. Remove from cookie sheets to cool.
*I bake my cookies for 8-9 minutes, and then quickly press the Kisses into the cookies, then place back into the oven for 1-2 minutes. This helps the kisses adhere into the cookie, rather then pop off when you eat them!